Facts & Timeline
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, one of only 20 golf courses in the country to be listed.
City Park (Township 7 S. Range 1 W East Baton Rouge Parish) 150 acres; golf course 26 acres
Land Ownership Title Chain for City Park (Abbreviated) :
- 1786 James Hillen acquired property Spanish Land Grant Hillen to John Joyce (Constance) (Armond)
- 1791-1815 Hillen John Joyce m. C. Rochon.....Rochon Duplantier Joyce ; John Turnbull (The Hillen Land Grant is the land to which City Park traces its roots)
- 1815-1856 Duplantier to Perkins (many owners between)
- 1856-1866 Perkins to Pike
- 1878-1923 City of BR donated property to LSU with caveat that if not used for a farm it was to be returned to the city .
- 1923-1924 LSU returned property to the City of Baton Rouge after Gov. John M. Parker intervened
- 1924-1946 City of BR to BREC
- 1946 BREC political subdivision formed by Legislative Act 246 (1946) Sec. 3 (b) of Article 14, Constitution of the State of Louisiana
City Park Golf Course Timeline ...Continuous Play
- 1923 Contract American Park Builders (Myron West/Tom Bendelow)
- 1924 Started Construction
- 1928 Officially Opened (Aug 3, 1928)
- 1954-1960 Mike Barbato (older brother of Joe and Luca Barbato)
- 1992-1998 James Gater Bates
- 1998-2007 Coach Richy Ory
Park Improvements ($6.5 million Imagine Your Parks Tax Payer Bond Fund Money 2004)
- New Playgrounds with Restroom Facility
- New Walking Trails & Bike Paths
- Display Areas for Public Art
Friends of Historic City Park is a nonprofit group dedicated to the preservation of City Park of Baton Rouge, and, in particular, its historic golf course. City Park Golf Course was built in 1926 by the noted Scottish course designer, Tom Bendelow. It is listed on The National Register of Historic Places. We believe that the course should be protected, preserved and maintained for future generations. City Park Golf Course is a landmark representing Baton Rouge’s beauty, history, and our city’s desire to make golf available to everyone. It is our desire to help BREC be good stewards of this property. Please join us in our support of this historic course; it needs our protection.
City Park Golf Course was built in 1926 by the noted Scottish course designer, Tom Bendelow.
OFFICERS AND BOARD
City Park Friends Board
(Charter 2003 #35584938N)
Dana Oatley Brown, Chair
Lillie Petit Gallagher
Dr. Gayle Sanchez
Clarence Von Aspern
Jo Paul Steiner
A golfer plays one of the nine holes that make up this great course. Offering the perfect round for beginners, regulars or those who just want a leisure game to relax and practice.
Lillie Gallagher presents the case for Historic City Park Golf Course to members of the board of the Foundation for Historical Louisiana. The board voted overwhelmingly to support preserving the golf course. As one board member put it: “How can we NOT do this?"